Office trends fluxuate with the years, always evolving in pursuit of healthy, productive work environments. The design trends of 2019 – and the future – are unique. Recently, workspaces are steadily integrating biophilic office designs to the workplace, and the trend will likely continue to transform offices in the future. What is biophilia and how it is revolutionizing office design? Explore some of the most recent trends below.
What is Biophilia?
According to psychoanalyst Eric Fromm, biophilia is “the passionate love of life and all that is alive.” The biophilia hypothesis states that humans pursue connections with nature and natural life. While this might sound odd at first, the idea makes sense with further exploration! The thought that humans are attracted to nature, natural beauty, and natural patterns is demonstrated in the simple desire to go for a walk, run through the rain, hike across a mountains, or splash in the ocean.
Researchers believe that biological technology and innovation are evolutionary steps – initiated by the biophilic attraction. As office design seeks to evolve with humans, biophilic office design is a revolutionary solution. According to CNN Business, biophilia in the workplace can make healthier, more productive employees, ultimately reducing stress. This is important, because stress is literally a “health epidemic.” So, what is the future of biophilic office design?
Biophilic Office Design Trends
- Reclaimed Wood Structures: Wood is a key aspect in the future of biophilic office design. From desks and tables to large, full-scale architectural pieces, natural, sustainably-sourced wood creates a warm, inviting work environment.
- Carpet and Flooring: In order to imitate natural environments, many offices are incorporating natural materials to the floor. A floor may include stone, reclaimed wood, or a forest floor design. Positioned in a variety of patterns, the flooring is meant to replicate the intricacies of the natural world.
- Ceiling Features: The natural world is a biome. Reproducing a biome-like atmosphere in the office can include a biophilic ceiling. Hanging flowers and plants, skylights, natural shapes and patterns, and bright colors come into play.
- Lighting: Lighting significantly impacts an environment. Biodynamic lighting mirrors sunlight, producing a multitude of benefits, from improved mood to better sleep schedules.
- Integrating Green: Plant-based features, built directly within an office environment, transforms a space. Natural plant-based structures are often integrated directly into the work environment, sometimes in separate components, especially in an open office atmosphere. For example, green wall dividers can be placed directly in the center of an office space.
Your Biophilic Office Design Source
Wehrli Furniture is a proud proponent and creator of beautiful biophilic office designs. We recently completed the first of many green-integrated designs, a lovely combination of biophilia wall units, custom metal trim, multi-purpose glass panels. Your source for complete biophilic pieces, customizable to your desires, to the feel and atmosphere of your workspace.
Contact Wehrli Furniture today with any questions – or to begin your own biophilic office transformation. We look forward to partnering with you to create a healthier, greener, work environment!